What is so important about this camp T-shirt? – Camp for Special Needs Children.
A camp T-shirt is special in so many ways. It can remind a child of an amazing summer camp experience, their friends, and the comradery that is unique to overnight camp. It might be a camp T-shirt from a special event, or a special trip off camp that hold some great memories. Many of our campers wear their Camp Lee Mar T-shirts and sweatshirts throughout the year as a connection to their favorite summer camp!
This Camp Lee Mar T-shirt is special for many more reasons! This Camp Lee Mar T-shirt will be sent out during February and for our campers this means:
- After 22 long months of being patient, having a mix of in-person and online school, our campers will be back at Camp Lee Mar in June 2021!
- They will be back with their friends in the picnic grove for snack and special events.
- There will be music playing again at the pool, and they will be able to hear the cheers of encouragement from different activities around camp.
- There will be dinnertime announcements and shout outs for all of those accomplishments during the day and moments of courage while trying new things.
- They will be back at camp where they can take a deep breath, be themselves, and enjoy the summer.
This camp T-shirt means that things will be okay, all the uncertainties and changes of routines during the past year will be replaced with the structure and scheduled activities our campers crave. Our campers will swim, play sports, sing karaoke and have an amazing fun-filled summer! While doing this our campers can begin to build and practice the in-person social skills that we have all been missing during the pandemic.
Camp this summer will give our campers the opportunity to enjoy their friends and to compare their experiences of the past months. While our campers are decompressing and having an amazing summer with friends at camp we can begin working up the social, emotional and academic skills needed for the upcoming school year.
The social skills and friendships gained at camp are always amazing! Watching the campers reunite at the beginning of each camp season, running into each other’s arms (when not having to social distance) ready to begin another summer of fun and learning, is such a great feeling. Seeing the parents smile, knowing that their child is loved, safe and happy, is part of the Camp Lee Mar magic. This upcoming summer is going to be even more special!
That is why a camp T-shirt is so special!
Written by Lynsey Trohoske
My name is Lynsey Trohoske, I am the assistant director at Camp Lee Mar. I have three amazing children, my middle child happens to be on the autism spectrum and is a camper at Lee Mar. I joined camp as a counselor in 1998 and loved the campers and their families so much that Camp Lee Mar became my second home!